On Sunday 22nd January 2017, at a joyful Hierarchal Liturgy at the parish of St Elisabeth the New Martyr, Wallasey, trustee Aidan Draper welcomed His Eminence Metropolitan Hilarion with the traditional bread and salt. He was also welcomed by Archpriest Paul Elliott, rector of the parish, and a congregation of well over seventy people.
During the Liturgy, Vladyka Hilarion ordained Monk Mark (Underwood) to the Holy Priesthood. Hieromonk Mark will now serve the Parishes in Cardiff and Cheltenham. His Eminence also tonsured Reader Gildas Meal, and ordained Reader Chad Newman to the Subdiaconate for the Parish of St Elisabeth's, as well as to assist at the Cathedral when he is in London.
Also serving at the Hierarchical Liturgy were Subdeacon Silouan Leon and Reader Paul Ziolo. At the Little Entrance, the Metropolitan awarded Hieromonk Michael (Wood) the right to wear a Gold Cross, in recognition of his twenty years of divine service; and Priest Thomas Cook was awarded the the nabedrennik for his faithful service. Vladyka also thanked Matushka Elizabeth for her care of the choir and all her hard work in the parish. Archpriest Paul presented the Metropolitan with a gift of an icon of the Tsar Martyr Nicholas to travel with him on his visits to the UK and Ireland.
After a festive meal in the church, the First Hierarch met with parishioners in the parish house, before moving on to Mettingham on Monday 23rd January.
The next Archpastoral visitation of His Grace Bishop Irenei will be from 4th - 23rd July. Below is an outline confirmed visitations on that stay.
- 6th-8th: Commemorative Festivities of the Holy Royal Martyrs on the Isle of Wight.
- Thursday 12th: Feast of Sts Peter & Paul:Venue to be announced.
- Saturday 14th: DIOCESAN PILGRIMAGE: To the miraculous well of St Margaret and St Frideswide in Binsey (near Oxford), with Divine Liturgy in the ancient church at 9.45 a.m. followed by moleben at the Holy Well. His Grace will chair a meeting of the Diocesan Council this day as well. At 5.00 p.m., Vigil at the Diocesan Cathedral.
- Sunday 15th: 9.45 a.m.: Greeting and Hierarchical Divine Liturgy (10.00) at Dicoesan Cathedral.
- Monday 16th: 6.00 p.m.: Vigil of the Feast (Diocesan Cathedral, lower Church).
- Tuesday 17th: Feast of the Holy Royal Martyrs (Altar Feast of Cathedral lower Church): 9.00 a.m. Hierarchical Divine Liturgy of the Feast, followed by a luncheon in Cathedral Hall in honour of Feast and the 100th Anniversary of the Martyrdom of the Royal Family.
- Wednesday 18th: Royal Martyrs Sts Elisabeth & Barbara: Hierarchical Divine Liturgy in Cathedral.
- Saturday 21st: Kazan Icon of the Theotokos, the Altar Feast of the Cardiff Parish: 9.00 a.m. Hierarchical Divine Liturgy of the Feast in Cardiff. Reception to follow Liturgy.
- Sunday 22nd:Altar Feast of St Elisabeth, Wallasey: 9.45 greeting of the Bishop, 10:00 Hierarchical Divine Liturgy of the Feast in Wallasey, with Cross Procession and veneration of relics of St Elisabeth and St Barbara. A Garden Party will follow the Liturgy.
Spiritual talks will be scheduled during the visit. As ever, those wishing to meet formally with the Bishop are invited to contact the Diocesan Chancellor, Archpriest Paul Elliott, to have a meeting added to the calendar, or to approach Bishop Irenei directly during his visit to speak personally.
Welcome to the web site of the Russian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Ireland. We invite you to explore the host of information provided here, and above all to visit one of our parishes to join us in prayer to the Holy Trinity in a land where Holy Orthodoxy was introduced in Apostolic times.