Home /
Bishop Irenei Makes First Pastoral Visit to Sanremo Parish

Читайте по-русский: Епископ Иреней совершает первый пастырский визит в приход города Сан-Ремо

 

On 5th - 6th March 2019, His Grace Bishop Irenei of Richmond and Western Europe made his first archpastoral visitation to the Parish of Christ the Saviour and St Seraphim of Sarov in Sanremo, Italy, marking the first hierarchical visit since the parish’s return to the Western European Diocese of the ROCOR in January of this year.

The history of the Sanremo church dates to the time of Tsarina Maria Alexandrovna, who loved to spend time in the city and after whom one of its popular streets is named (Passeggiata Imperatrice, ‘Empress Walk’), who herself declared a church should be built here — though it would not be completed until three decades after her repose. In 1890, the Grand Duke Sergei Mikhailovich, who also lived in Sanremo, initiated his support of the cause, and in 1910 he instituted the church’s construction committee under an authorising decree from Tsar St Nicholas II. The Emperor not only authorised collections to be taken for the construction of the church, but was personally one of its main benefactors. The building was designed by architects A. V. Shchusev and P. Agosti in the style of 17th-century Moscow temples, and the church was consecrated on 10th December 1913, dedicated to Christ the Saviour, with an additional dedication to the Venerable St Seraphim of Sarov.

For the first years of its existence, there were no permanent clergy nor an organised parish community at the church. A parish committee was formed in 1922 and continued to receive visiting clergy from the exarchal community in Europe; and in 1929 the community passed to the jurisdiction of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, from which time it began to be served by permanent priests: Archpriest Vladimir Polyakov (1929–1935) and Hieromonk (and future Archimandrite) Kallist (Podzolov). After a bomb damaged the church in 1940, services were transferred to a 1908 cemetery chapel dedicated to St Nicholas, also in the city, until the church was eventually repaired in 1946-47. The parish preserves a letter from St John the Wonderworker, then Archbishop of the Western European Diocese, addressing its life during this period. From 1952 the parish passed to the omoforion of the Exarchate of Parishes of Russian Tradition in Western Europe, under the Patriarchate of Constantinople; and following the dissolution of that Exarchate by Constantinople in November 2018 together with the canonical turmoil of the period, it was received back into the Western European Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia in January 2019 upon the request of its clergy and parishioners, confirmed by a formal decision of its parish council and assembly.

During his brief visit, Bishop Irenei was welcomed by the parish rector, Priest Dionysius Baykov, a cleric of the Western European Diocese, and met with the parish council to discuss its life and pastoral works within the diocese. In the evening, parishioners gathered together with the Bishop in the church to pray a moleben with akathist to St Seraphim before his precious icon. The service was concelebrated by His Grace, Priest Dionysius, along with Archpriest Georgiy Blatinskiy of the diocesan parish in Florence, and Priest Evgeny Nikitin of the parish in Menton, France. Following the service, Bishop Irenei met with parishioners for a discussion in the church, addressing many matters of the life of faith, spiritual works, and the parish’s place in the diocese. A reception was then held in a nearby restaurant, providing the parishioners the occasion to converse with their bishop and celebrate the progress of their spiritual life.

(26 images)


The Sanremo church
The Sanremo church
The western entrance
Western facade
Bell tower, showing restoration works
Facade detail
Interior of the church
The ongoing frescoing project
Iconostasis
Akathist to St Seraphim
Akathist to St Seraphim
Akathist to St Seraphim
Altar
Icons in the Sanremo church
Icons in the Sanremo church
Icons in the Sanremo church
Restoration works on the church exterior
Bell tower
Vittorio Emanuele III and his wife, Elena of Montenegro, daughter of Nicholas I
Restoration works on the church exterior
Dinner with parishioners
Bishop Irenei, Priest Dionysius, Archpriest Gregory and Priest Evgeny
Share This:



< PreviousNext >
Welcome

Welcome to the web site of the Russian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Ireland. We invite you to explore the host of information provided here, and above all to visit one of our parishes to join us in prayer to the Holy Trinity in a land where Holy Orthodoxy was introduced in Apostolic times.

Translate this Page

You may use the drop-down link below to translate this page via GoogleTranslate into a language of your choice.

Today's Calendar

Support the ROCOR's Fund for Assistance

Diocese of Great Britain and Ireland (ROCOR)
Diocesan Chancellery, 58 Shrewsbury Road
Prenton Birkenhead, CH43 2HY

Copyright 2018
Diocese of Great Britain and Ireland
Website Powered by Orthodox Web Solutions