"At the recent Sobor of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church outside of Russia, held in Munich from the 9th - 14th June 2017, His Grace Bishop Irinei of Sacramento was appointed the Administrator of the British Diocese. Governance of our diocese will henceforth be carried out by Bishop Irinei on behalf of His Eminence Metropolitan Hilarion, locum tenens of the diocese itself, and both Hierarchs will be commemorated at all divine services of the Diocese. May the Lord preserve the Hierachy of the Russian Orthodox Church!"
His Grace Bishop Irinei has written to his clergy to clarify his role in the administration of the Diocese. He will remain a vicar bishop of the Western American Diocese and will continue to reside chiefly in the United States. He intends to visit the Diocese as often as he can starting in August with a visit for the Feast of the Dormition of the Mother of God. During that visit he will serve in the Cathedral for the Feast of Dormition and preside over a meeting of the clergy (including Subdeacons and Readers) and over the first meeting of the Diocesan Council, both of which will meet at the London Cathedral on Saturday 2nd September. Vladyka arrives on Thusday 25th August and returns to the US on the 4th September. The rest of his itinerary is awaiting confirmation, though he is keen to meet parishioners of the diocese during this stay.
The commemorations at all services of the Diocese are henceforth to be as follows:
In the litanies: “For our Great Lord and Father, His Holiness Kyrill, Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia; for Our Lord the Most Reverend Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of the Russian Church Abroad; and for Our Lord the Right Reverend Bishop Irenei; for the venerable priesthood… etc.”
“О великомъ господинѣ и отцѣ нашемъ, святѣйшемъ патріарсѣ Кириллѣ, и о господинѣ нашемъ высокопреосвященнѣйшемъ митрополитѣ Иларіонѣ, первоіерарсѣ Русскiя зарубежныя церкве, и о господинѣ нашемъ преосвященнѣйшемъ епископѣ Иринеѣ, честнемъ пресвитерствѣ… и т.д.”
At the Great Entrance: “Our Great Lord and Father, His Holiness Kyrill, Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia; Our Lord the Most Reverend Hilarion, Metropolitan of Eastern-America and New York, First Hierarch of the Russian Church Abroad; and Our Lord the Right Reverend Irenei, Bishop of Sacramento, may the Lord God remember in His Kingdom… etc.”
“Великаго господина и отца нашего Кирилла, Святѣйшаго Патріарха Московскаго и всея Руси, и господина нашего высокопреосвященнѣйшаго Иларіона, первоиерарха Русскія зарубежныя церкве, и господина нашего преосвященнѣйшаго Иринея, епископа Сакраментскаго, да помянетъ Господь Богъ во Царствіи Своемъ… и т.д.”
Any questions of a particular nature relating to the administrative functioning of the Diocese should be directed in the ﬁrst instance to the Chancellor of the Diocese, the Very Reverend Archpriest Paul Elliott, 58 Shrewsbury Road, Prenton Birkenhead, CH43 2HY.
The next Archpastoral visitation of His Grace Bishop Irenei will be from 4th - 23rd July. Below is an outline confirmed visitations on that stay.
- 6th-8th: Commemorative Festivities of the Holy Royal Martyrs on the Isle of Wight.
- Thursday 12th: Feast of Sts Peter & Paul:Venue to be announced.
- Saturday 14th: DIOCESAN PILGRIMAGE: To the miraculous well of St Margaret and St Frideswide in Binsey (near Oxford), with Divine Liturgy in the ancient church at 9.45 a.m. followed by moleben at the Holy Well. His Grace will chair a meeting of the Diocesan Council this day as well. At 5.00 p.m., Vigil at the Diocesan Cathedral.
- Sunday 15th: 9.45 a.m.: Greeting and Hierarchical Divine Liturgy (10.00) at Dicoesan Cathedral.
- Monday 16th: 6.00 p.m.: Vigil of the Feast (Diocesan Cathedral, lower Church).
- Tuesday 17th: Feast of the Holy Royal Martyrs (Altar Feast of Cathedral lower Church): 9.00 a.m. Hierarchical Divine Liturgy of the Feast, followed by a luncheon in Cathedral Hall in honour of Feast and the 100th Anniversary of the Martyrdom of the Royal Family.
- Wednesday 18th: Royal Martyrs Sts Elisabeth & Barbara: Hierarchical Divine Liturgy in Cathedral.
- Saturday 21st: Kazan Icon of the Theotokos, the Altar Feast of the Cardiff Parish: 9.00 a.m. Hierarchical Divine Liturgy of the Feast in Cardiff. Reception to follow Liturgy.
- Sunday 22nd:Altar Feast of St Elisabeth, Wallasey: 9.45 greeting of the Bishop, 10:00 Hierarchical Divine Liturgy of the Feast in Wallasey, with Cross Procession and veneration of relics of St Elisabeth and St Barbara. A Garden Party will follow the Liturgy.
Spiritual talks will be scheduled during the visit. As ever, those wishing to meet formally with the Bishop are invited to contact the Diocesan Chancellor, Archpriest Paul Elliott, to have a meeting added to the calendar, or to approach Bishop Irenei directly during his visit to speak personally.
Welcome to the web site of the Russian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Ireland. We invite you to explore the host of information provided here, and above all to visit one of our parishes to join us in prayer to the Holy Trinity in a land where Holy Orthodoxy was introduced in Apostolic times.