Parishes are reminded that traditionally the collections of the Sunday of the Lord's Entry into Jerusalem (Palm Sunday) are, thorughout the whole of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, dedicated to the support of the Russian Ecclesiatical Mission in the Holy Land. We encourage all our faithful to continue this important, ancient tradition, and to give generously to this worthy cause.
In conjunction with this annual appeal, the Holy Synod of Bishops has issued the following appeal (Russian is the original, with a paraphrased Enlish translation):
Напоминанiе изъ канцелярiи Архiерейскаго Синода
Въ связи съ приближающимся великимъ праздникомъ Входа Господня во Iерусалимъ, напоминается правящимъ архiереямъ епархiй Русской Зарубежной Церкви о необходимости, слѣдуя дореволюцiонной традицiи, проводить тарелочные сборы на нужды Русской Духовной Миссiи въ Iерусалимѣ во всѣхъ храмахъ и монастыряхъ нашей Церкви, какъ за Всенощнымъ бдѣнiемъ, такъ и за Божественной литургiей въ этотъ праздничный день, предваривъ ихъ соотѣтствующимъ словомъ о подвигѣ, который несутъ члены Миссiи въ весьма сложныхъ условiяхъ, охраняя и оберегая святыни, оказывая гостепрiимство многочисленнымъ паломникамъ и представляя нашу Святую Церковь на Святой Землѣ.
Statement of the Chancellery of the Synod of Bishops
In connection with the upcoming Great Feast of ″The Lord's Entrance into Jerusalem″, The Synod of Bishops reminds the faithful of Russian Orthodox Church outside Russia about the need to undertake collections to meet the spiritual needs of the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission in Jerusalem. In all our churches we hear the words of the Church in the Divine Liturgy, and on this festive day, we anticipate the revelation of glory. So our efforts to support the members of the Mission in their very important spiritual work of guarding and protecting the shrines, providing shelter and spiritual support for pilgrims, introducing them to our Holy Church in the Holy Land, is of great importance. Please give generously.
The next Archpastoral visitation of His Grace Bishop Irenei will be from 4th - 23rd July. Below is an outline confirmed visitations on that stay.
- 6th-8th: Commemorative Festivities of the Holy Royal Martyrs on the Isle of Wight.
- Thursday 12th: Feast of Sts Peter & Paul:Venue to be announced.
- Saturday 14th: DIOCESAN PILGRIMAGE: To the miraculous well of St Margaret and St Frideswide in Binsey (near Oxford), with Divine Liturgy in the ancient church at 9.45 a.m. followed by moleben at the Holy Well. His Grace will chair a meeting of the Diocesan Council this day as well. At 5.00 p.m., Vigil at the Diocesan Cathedral.
- Sunday 15th: 9.45 a.m.: Greeting and Hierarchical Divine Liturgy (10.00) at Dicoesan Cathedral.
- Monday 16th: 6.00 p.m.: Vigil of the Feast (Diocesan Cathedral, lower Church).
- Tuesday 17th: Feast of the Holy Royal Martyrs (Altar Feast of Cathedral lower Church): 9.00 a.m. Hierarchical Divine Liturgy of the Feast, followed by a luncheon in Cathedral Hall in honour of Feast and the 100th Anniversary of the Martyrdom of the Royal Family.
- Wednesday 18th: Royal Martyrs Sts Elisabeth & Barbara: Hierarchical Divine Liturgy in Cathedral.
- Saturday 21st: Kazan Icon of the Theotokos, the Altar Feast of the Cardiff Parish: 9.00 a.m. Hierarchical Divine Liturgy of the Feast in Cardiff. Reception to follow Liturgy.
- Sunday 22nd:Altar Feast of St Elisabeth, Wallasey: 9.45 greeting of the Bishop, 10:00 Hierarchical Divine Liturgy of the Feast in Wallasey, with Cross Procession and veneration of relics of St Elisabeth and St Barbara. A Garden Party will follow the Liturgy.
Spiritual talks will be scheduled during the visit. As ever, those wishing to meet formally with the Bishop are invited to contact the Diocesan Chancellor, Archpriest Paul Elliott, to have a meeting added to the calendar, or to approach Bishop Irenei directly during his visit to speak personally.
Welcome to the web site of the Russian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Ireland. We invite you to explore the host of information provided here, and above all to visit one of our parishes to join us in prayer to the Holy Trinity in a land where Holy Orthodoxy was introduced in Apostolic times.