His Eminence Archbishop Mark of Berlin and Germany, who is also the Ruling Bishop of our Diocese, visited us from the 15th -17th April 2016. The Hierarchal Liturgy was served at 08:00. Members of the Diocesan Assembly met in the parish hall at Harvard Road at about 11:30. The Sisterhood of the Cathedral Parish provided a delicious light lunch for those who attended the Assembly.
The Hierarchal Great Unction Service was served at 2:00 p.m. following the Diocesan Assembly at the Cathedral in Chiswick on Saturday 16th April. The Statutes of the Diocese of Great Britain and Ireland were passed by the Synod of Bishops in December and were recieved by the Diocesan Assembly in the Cathedral on 16th April 2016 before the Great Unction Service. The Statutes in English and in Russian have been corrected and published on the website. Archbishop Mark appointed Archpriest Peter Baulk as Senior Cleric (Vice Chair of the Assembly); Archpriest Paul Elliott was appointed as Chancellor of the Diocese; and Mr Gregory Wolcough was appointed as Lay Secretary / Treasurer. These are effectively the Trustees of the Diocese. Father Andrew, Father Peter and Father Vitaly were appointed to the Diocesan Spiritual Court. Reports were heard from right across the Diocese. The Assembly was very well supported and worthwhile.
The next Archpastoral visitation of His Grace Bishop Irenei will be from 4th - 23rd July. Below is an outline confirmed visitations on that stay.
- 6th-8th: Commemorative Festivities of the Holy Royal Martyrs on the Isle of Wight.
- Thursday 12th: Feast of Sts Peter & Paul:Venue to be announced.
- Saturday 14th: DIOCESAN PILGRIMAGE: To the miraculous well of St Margaret and St Frideswide in Binsey (near Oxford), with Divine Liturgy in the ancient church at 9.45 a.m. followed by moleben at the Holy Well. His Grace will chair a meeting of the Diocesan Council this day as well. At 5.00 p.m., Vigil at the Diocesan Cathedral.
- Sunday 15th: 9.45 a.m.: Greeting and Hierarchical Divine Liturgy (10.00) at Dicoesan Cathedral.
- Monday 16th: 6.00 p.m.: Vigil of the Feast (Diocesan Cathedral, lower Church).
- Tuesday 17th: Feast of the Holy Royal Martyrs (Altar Feast of Cathedral lower Church): 9.00 a.m. Hierarchical Divine Liturgy of the Feast, followed by a luncheon in Cathedral Hall in honour of Feast and the 100th Anniversary of the Martyrdom of the Royal Family.
- Wednesday 18th: Royal Martyrs Sts Elisabeth & Barbara: Hierarchical Divine Liturgy in Cathedral.
- Saturday 21st: Kazan Icon of the Theotokos, the Altar Feast of the Cardiff Parish: 9.00 a.m. Hierarchical Divine Liturgy of the Feast in Cardiff. Reception to follow Liturgy.
- Sunday 22nd:Altar Feast of St Elisabeth, Wallasey: 9.45 greeting of the Bishop, 10:00 Hierarchical Divine Liturgy of the Feast in Wallasey, with Cross Procession and veneration of relics of St Elisabeth and St Barbara. A Garden Party will follow the Liturgy.
Spiritual talks will be scheduled during the visit. As ever, those wishing to meet formally with the Bishop are invited to contact the Diocesan Chancellor, Archpriest Paul Elliott, to have a meeting added to the calendar, or to approach Bishop Irenei directly during his visit to speak personally.
Welcome to the web site of the Russian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Ireland. We invite you to explore the host of information provided here, and above all to visit one of our parishes to join us in prayer to the Holy Trinity in a land where Holy Orthodoxy was introduced in Apostolic times.